USAID Advancing Nutrition (USAID AN) is the U.S. Agency for International Development’s flagship nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID AN implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID AN strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
USAID AN is seeking a consultant to assist with finalizing a landscape review of existing methods and measures for food environment of markets and their effects on nutrition. This activity will help provide more targeted recommendations for adapting or developing guidance/tools for use by USAID Missions and practitioners.
The consultant’s responsibilities include:
- Identifying existing efforts being made to fill gaps in data collection methods for measuring the food environment, engaging directly with thought leaders, as needed, to understand the current status of this work.
- Synthesizing and integrate findings into an existing USAID AN review paper of market assessment methodologies.
- Reviewing and finalizing the market assessment methods review paper
To fulfill the responsibilities listed above, the consultant must meet the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with current methodological approaches for measuring the food environment in LMICs
- A firm grasp of relevant food systems and food environment concepts and frameworks
- Relevant contacts and professional networks with organizations working in this space that she/he can draw on to organize constative meetings
- Proficient at synthesizing and distilling complex academic findings for a wider audience
- Excellent writing skills
- Available to start work immediately and willing to commit at least 20 hours per week until completion of the deliverable, listed below
The work is expected to take approximately 12 days to complete, between January 6 and February 30, 2020. To apply for this position, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a remote position based out of our offices in Crystal City, VA. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP. This position will remain open until filled. Position posted on December 27, 2019.