On October 26, 2022, USAID Advancing Nutrition and the Ugandan Ministry of Health (MOH) convened a joint multi-stakeholder event in Kampala with the National Working Group on Food Fortification (NWGFF) member institutions, to review the annual progress of the food fortification program. The event drew participants from the line ministries, departments and agencies (MDA), the private sector, partners, and academic and research institutions who shared the year’s achievements including:
- developing a capacity strengthening plan for key institutions
- performing a capacity needs assessment for food industries to improve compliance
- integrating additional indicators into the national household surveys
- analyzing the current food fortification landscape
- documenting business case models for fortification
- training food industries to foster compliance.
The participants at the event helped identify needs, gaps, opportunities, and MDA’s priority areas to integrate the ongoing government financial year 2023-2024 work plans and budgets. These efforts aim to institutionalize and sustain the food fortification efforts among the public and private sectors, with technical facilitation from USAID Advancing Nutrition Uganda. The project will continue to collaborate with the MOH to strengthen the NWGFF secretariat’s capacity to organize NWGFF quarterly meetings and share quarterly reports.